Monday, December 5, 2011

Paintings of Kansas

We were discussing in class today In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. My teacher mentioned how incredibly well, Truman Capote, coming from New York City, was able to describe the flat plaines of Kansas in his writing better than anyone had ever done before.
It got me thinking about the landscape in Kansas- somewhat hilly but "flatter than a pancake". Kansas is the 21st flattest state. North Dakota is the flattest. Anyway, I went online to look at paintings of Kansas and found so many gems, I just had to make a posting about it. Seems artists are infatuated by Kansas's landscape- flat as a pancake covered in sunflowers and farms...

A recommendation- read this blog post reading "To Be Alone with You" by Sufjan Stevens. Or just listen to it in general. Beautiful song. And these painting are so beautiful.









Supposed to Depict Kansas meeting the "real" Colorado, where the mountains begin out west.

Kansas City. Sticks out from the herd of paintings I found. Love it though. 








I think this is my favorite one I found. Simple, but so elegant. 




No comments:

Post a Comment