Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kudos to the Academy...


The Oscars did a far better job this year than they did last year with nominations, making some very appropriate snubs and some excellent choices. This was not as good of a year for film as the past three or four years past, so things were even more predictable than usual.

  • JUSTICE FOR THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR The greatest decision was honoring what I found to be the most enjoyable and hypnotic film I have ever seen, "The Tree of Life" which should have been honored for its actors, but I'll take Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Picture nominations as adequate. 
  • WISE SNUBS Snubbing the two most over-rated Best Picture contenders of the year from receiving Best Picture and Best Dirctor nominations also pleased me tremendously- the two awful films being "Melancholia" and "The Ides of March". Also snubbing Pixar, a typical Oscar baby, which released the god awful sequel to the god awful "Cars" was great. Since the Coen Brothers had no overrated film released in 2011, there was no despicable display of a dozen awards for another "True Grit"-esk boring film. 
  • THEY DID THE RIGHT THING THIS YEAR I loved seeing nominations for all the ladies in "The Help" who all did a fantastic job. I also loved seeing "Hugo" recover the most overall nominations- a continuation of the Oscars' apology to the great Scorcese for years of giving him no awards. Hugo received a nomination in essentially every applicable category. 
  • I really have to see "The Artist" and "A Better Life"! I feel like I live on another planet. 
Nothing will patch the wounds of snubbing the Golden Globe Best Picture winning Dreamgirls from its more than deserved Best Picture nomination years ago. And nothing will make up for last years butchery of nominations as Barbara Hersey in "Black Swan", Ryan Gosling in "Blue Valentine", Carey Mulligan in "Never Let Me Go" and above all, Leslie Manville in "Another Year" were all denied incredibly deserving nominations. Still, today brings good news.

As for predictions, I would be surprised, knowing the academy and looking at other award shows, if "The Descendants" or "The Artist" do not win Best Picture. "Midnight in Paris" and "Hugo" are longshot dark horses, so even one of them winning would surprise me a bit. I think "Hugo" is a Best Director front-runner but I would not be surprised to see any of the other nominations take home the gold. I think Best Actress is between Glenn Close and Meryl Streep. George Cloony will probably win Best Actor and Octivia Spencer will obviously win for Best Supporting Actress. Best Supporting Actor will go to Christopher Plummer. Animated Feature film is anyone's guess, but I think Kung Fu Panda 2 should and will win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment